Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Who are you today?

Between critiquing the latest software test plan and reading Stop Saying Your Fine by Mel Robbins, I read this Motherese post centered on writing about the contradictions which make up a life. The exercise was to answer a prompt unrestricted for 5 minutes.  At least that was what formed the blog post.  I decided to give it a try.

I write.  At least I try to.  I'm still learning and often embarrased of how things turn out.

I edit as a write a lot.  Too much.

I listen to music when I want to tune out my surroundings.  My life.  The things that aren't in front of me.  Sometimes it works.

I get scared when I deviate.  I worry a lot.  I want to be the opposite.

I am a hard worker.  I do what I'm told.  I envy those who can forge their own path without requiring the approval of others.  I want to be one of those people.

I love carelessly.  I love that about myself.  I get hurt a lot.  I get disappointed.  I love it.

I wish I could dance or sing or play an instrument or shine like no one else in some wild way.

I create routines to make life more efficient.  I do this in my work, my house, my life, my family.  I lean on the routines to keep things okay.  The flow of a good routine is a reward, but the breakdown is much more fascinating.

I am learning what I want to do when I grow up.  I don't think there is a real answer for that question.  I want it to keep changing.

My five minutes is up.  I'm leaving these here.  Quickest blog post ever.  Fully formed in under 10 minutes.  I like it.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you did this too, Margot, and not just because I share so many of the qualities from your list. I think I need to make the 5-minute free write part of my day more often. It's amazing what comes to mind when we don't allow ourselves to second guess and edit. So nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen - I'm so glad you came to visit and enjoyed the post! I really enjoyed the exercise. The line about reading People versus the New Yorker sold me on giving it a shot. When things like that come to me it feels like a delicious discovery. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete